Saturday, May 25, 2013

Fauvism: The Wild Beast in Me

I've been neglecting this blog, the last few weeks of student teaching were extremely stressful and this is where I let things fall.

So, now that I'm done I'm going to go back and start posting the basic outlines of some of the lessons I taught, with images and a few notes. Not too many simply because I don't want to get overwhelmed by the task and quit half way through...

Anyone with questions feel free to ask!

GRADE 7 
Fauvism: The Wild Beast in Me


CONCEPTUAL BASIS

Fauvism is a vibrant and colorful style of painting, developed by Henri Matisse and Andre Derain and uses bold colors, simplified drawing and  expressive brushwork.

Fauvism was the first movement of this modern period, in which color ruled; an early 20th century movement in painting begun by a group of French artists and marked by the use of bold, often distorted forms and vivid colors. The Fauvists used color to express their  feelings rather than to describe the subject before them. It was a response to the invention of the camera which allowed painters to explore expressive new ways of creating paintings.

ESSENTIAL QUESTION


  • How can color be used to express personality in a portrait?

PERFORMANCE TASK

Students will be photographed and use those images of themselves to create Fauvist inspired portraits of themselves using watercolor pencils.  The portraits should express a facet of their personality that they don't usually get to express.



I absolutely loved the results of this project, but listening to 7th grade girls and boys whine about how their faces didn't look right was the worst part. In the future I think I would try this with a younger age group, as they are less likely to be quite so self-conscious. The 7th and 8th graders are in the thick of those sorts of concerns, or obsessions, so I'd likely give them another subject for this project.




2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an awesome project! I'm going to share this with some of my art teacher friends. Keep it up, Lizz!

    ReplyDelete