Monday, January 14, 2013

Here we go...

The last 18 months I have been back in school, working on getting state certified in the arts for K-12 education.

Those of you who know me, know that I have been working in education for many years, both as an adjunct instructor, workshops with young children and summer arts camps both here in my home and in South Dakota where arts education is suffering, much as it is everywhere.

Two weeks from today I begin a semester of student teaching, as well as teaching nights as an adjunct, as well as a few other jobs to keep the lights on in my apartment while I work towards a certification that means the world to me.

I have been advised by most that taking on jobs above and beyond student teaching is a recipe for disaster. I suspect they're right but I have no choice. So, here's hoping.

My first placement is an urban school not far from where I live, the second is suburban, not far from where I work. I'm thrilled, but absolutely terrified too. I started this blog to document the experience, to talk about lessons, to talk about why the arts are an important part of the academic experience for our young people.

I will not name the schools where I'll be working, nor teacher or student names of any kind.

This is an attempt at honest reflection and introspection. Art education means everything to me. Here's hoping I can make some kind of difference, or maybe, that I can make it out in one piece...

I hope you'll come along with me. I suspect I'll need all the support I can get. 

2 comments:

  1. Go Lizz!! We're all behind you all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck Lizz! Thanks for creating this blog so that those of us who aren't in your classroom can benefit from your experience and be inspired by your efforts.

    ReplyDelete